Monday, January 12, 2009

Recipe: Sweet Oat Bars


I usually try to have one or two meat-free days for the dogs each week. Instead of using meat or fish for protein in their meals, I might feed eggs, yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, buttermilk, or some combination of these type of foods. I still use my rough guide for the overall meal: 1/3 grains, 1/3 veggies/fruits, and 1/3 protein. Often with the meatless meals, I will include soaked oats but for a change, and because I go a little bake-crazy in Winter, I've been making oat bars for the dogs. These could also be fed as treats if desired. Here is the recipe:

6 Cups rolled oats
1 Cup flaxseed meal
1 Cup raw wheat germ
4 eggs
1/2 Cup oil (e.g. olive, canola, safflower)
1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 Cup molasses
1 Cup milk

Mix all ingredients together. Pat onto well greased cookie sheet(s) and bake at 325 degrees F for 30 mins. Turn off oven, crack door and let cool. Break or cut into desired pieces.

Variations: I will often sprinkle some cinnamon into the mix, just because I love the smell of a cinnamon kitchen. You could also add in a can of pumpkin or some mashed bananas. Those smell great baking too and the dogs love the taste.

Note: If you are wanting to use these as treats instead of including them as part of a meal, I would suggest possibly replacing the flaxseed meal and wheat germ with equal amounts of whole wheat flour. That will help the bars stay together better for storage and handling.

No comments: