Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fail, Six Ways from Sunday

I often say that most of us in SC are normal people - we just don't make the national news. I'm not sure if this story has gone national but it generally qualifies:
After running over a dog on a rural road in McClellanville on Thursday morning, the driver of a pickup truck tried to “put the dog out of its misery” by whacking the animal with a machete and a hammer, authorities said.

The dog's owner heard the dog's plaintive yelping and ran out of his house, grabbed the machete and hammer and started whaling away with the hammer, attacking the man who had been attacking his dog.

The driver was hospitalized with a skull fracture. The dog's owner is in jail, accused of trying to kill the driver. The dog, whose name is “Dingo,” was hanging on for his life Thursday night.

If you want all the details, you can clicky. I have sat here for the past 10 minutes trying to think how to summarize the back story and provide sensible commentary with hopefully some sort of uplifting message. I'm tired of waiting.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I might have ended up in jail, too, if I'd been the owner. Or at least I can see where he was coming from. There's no getting away from charging the owner -- though I suspect the charge will be reduced -- but I hope to heck the other guy gets charged with animal cruelty.

YesBiscuit! said...

Exactly my fear Susan - I'm a non-violent person but in such extreme circumstances, who knows what any of us might do in reaction?

Anonymous said...

If this happened close enough to the owner's house for him to hear the dog crying out - why the hell didn't the driver just go there for help?

What a vicious, pathetic coward. He should absolutley be charged with animal cruelty.

And... like Susan, if this had happened to one of mine I'm not sure I'd have been able to control myself.