Saturday, February 13, 2010

Begins at Home

A couple who visited the Memphis Animal Shelter last year (prior to the raid by authorities) took home three dogs including an "injured and bleeding dog that had not received any veterinary care". This was the beginning of their "Streetdog Foundation" rescue which is currently caring for a dozen dogs. They have been boarding dogs, paying their Vet bills and fostering a couple at their home - all out of their own checkbook.

I would love to do something like this except I'd like to do it at our house. I'm willing to do the work and frankly, even if we had terrible luck finding permanent homes, I would be happy to keep a small group of dogs for their entire lives if necessary. It's that checkbook thing that is holding me back. Maybe someone reading this post has been thinking, "I have the money to fund a small no kill shelter and I'd really like to help some dogs but I'm not able to do the work". Hey - you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

1 comment:

pibble said...

Haha! I wish I had some chocolate for your peanut butter, but I'm afraid I only have the PB as well!