Sunday, February 15, 2009

Recipe: Big Breakfast Bars


I adapted this recipe from one I came across in Ann Martin's book Protect Your Pet. The original recipe can be found here.

Breakfast Bars

8 eggs
3/4 Cup olive oil
2/3 Cup honey
1/2 Cup molasses (blackstrap, if you can get it)
2 Cups milk
29 oz can pumpkin
12 Cups oats
2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 Cup flax meal
1 Cup wheat germ

In a gigantic-humongous bowl, whisk the eggs and add in the remaining wet ingredients, mixing well with super-duper spoon. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Wipe sweat from brow and then get the contents of the bowl onto two greased cookie sheets (of the large-marge variety). Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes. Run through with pizza cutter to create desired sized bars and return to oven (with heat off) for several hours or overnight. Can be served as a breakfast, maybe with a glop of yogurt and/or a hard boiled egg, or used as a treat.

Yield: A lot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These sound yummy and.. I just happen to have a bunch of pumpkin, eggs and oats to use up!

I think I'll split it into 2 or 3 batches and mix in my Kitchenaid. Not sure my hands will hold up to mixing up something that big and thick.