Monday, March 2, 2009

New HSUS Bust Dog Policy - My Two Cents

I'm still waiting on my invitation to the rilly-super-important HSUS meeting in Vegas to discuss their policy on bust dogs. *waits by mailbox, looks longingly at mailman as he passes by* While I'm waiting, I thought I'd draft up some ideas for HSUS.

1. HSUS policy should be clearly stated, not as a recommendation to individually evaluate bust dogs, but as an absolute requirement. In the course of any HSUS involvement with law enforcement on a dogfighting case, HSUS must not only advocate for evaluations by a qualified individual(s) but, if met with resistance, should fight for this provision using all available resources, including bringing in outside subject experts and going to court. All resources and efforts which the HSUS had used in past to get bust dogs killed must now be directed toward getting them individually evaluated and, if appropriate, into rescue.

2. HSUS must bring in outside evaluators for each case, preferably including:

  • someone with experience successfully rescuing and rehoming bust dog survivors
  • someone from a well established no kill shelter

HSUS staff must not participate in the evaluation process except as observers, if the evaluators agree, for their own education.


3. Any puppies under 8 weeks of age at the time of seizure or any pups born after seizure must be exempt from the evaluation process as a condition to determining their adoptability. HSUS must advocate for the guaranteed right to be placed into rescue for any such pups.

4. HSUS needs to publicize their new policy on saving bust dogs far and wide so there is no misunderstanding. HSUS should reach out to law enforcement and animal control agencies to educate them on the new policy and underscore that every dog deserves a fair evaluation.

5 comments:

Heather Houlahan said...

Oooh, ooh, I know, I know, I've got one!

How about, HSUS must use some of its considerable financial resources to fund the individual evaluations, and to provide care for all dogs placed into rescue as a result of a fight bust or cruelty prosecution in which HSUS has played a role.

Linda Kaim said...

Yeah, what SHE said.

Unlikely, but a gal can dream can't she?

YesBiscuit! said...

Well if we're getting into Dreamland here than I have a stack of pink slips to pass out at the HSUS in addition to the new policy...

Jan said...

All good ideas. Can we all join them in Las Vegas? I love to go to Las Vegas but i can't imagine trying to get any business done there.

Linda Kaim said...

I can't either. I don't suspect that they do; Vegas is not known for it's productive conventioneering. I am more inclined to think something on the lines of Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing type event, filled with all sorts of debauchery.

But that's just me....