Thursday, December 31, 2009

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

I know it's customary to review the year, or in this case the decade, at the end but I'm not really a look-backer. Suffice to say that I hope every year is better than the last and ultimately I guess I see them as being that way either on their own merits or out of an abundance of optimism.

I hope we can save more pets in need in 2010 and I hope that fewer pets need saving. I hope more shelter workers embrace the idea of sheltering and trample the idea of killing underfoot. I hope owners who keep their dogs chained 24/7 make a space in the laundry room with a cozy old blanket for their dogs to come in at night and during bad weather. I hope every dog gets more walks and every cat gets more lap time. I hope more people get to experience the special bond between humans and pets. I hope we all have enough to eat and that we share our healthy table scraps with our pets. I hope the sick can be well again or at least have their spirits lifted by a shaggy head resting on the side of the bed. I hope we can love unconditionally, judge less and understand more.

I think 2010 is going to be the best year ever.


*Title quote attributed to Oscar Wilde.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

To take this to the next level, please everyone, spay or neuter your pet to avoid having so many in the shelter to begin with. Fewer animals in shelters mean more happy at home with their people.

YesBiscuit! said...

Neuter surgery is great for those who want it and can afford it. For those who choose to keep their pet intact, it is important to prevent unplanned breedings. It is irresponsible IMO to produce pets which you can not accept responsibility for over the course of their lifetime.