Monday, May 18, 2009

Treats on the Internets

Sign an online petition demanding an independent investigation into allegations of pet abuse/killings at LA Co shelters

L.A. Animal Services will be increasing fees for pet adoptions and rescue groups

Save Our Dogs reports that Lake Co, CA - which has mandatory spay-neuter - has the highest kill stats of any shelter in the state.

There's a new head of BARC in Houston and he seems fond of using the word nebulous.

Nathan Winograd's latest post includes a link to a bizarro slide show opposing no kill featuring cereal boxes. For reals. [Insert "cereal killer" puns here.]

AR-HR wonders how the HSUS can maintain its 501(c)3 status after the recent Atlanta news piece

I don't think Cesar Millan is Satan - I like him - but I do like to consider all (reasonable) sides in any argument. Finally, I came across an anti-Millan article that didn't go off the rails.

NPR's Science Friday had some segments of interest to dog owners last week.

Nest cam for Red-Tailed Hawks (Love nest cams, LOVE hawks)

7 comments:

EmilyS said...

I wasn't so anti-Cesar until the episode from which this clip comes:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer/3263/Overview#tab-Videos/05666_00

Really, how clueless can you be.. any dog expert should have seen that fight coming from MILES away.

It's also the same episode, I believe, in which he allowed another pit bull to attack his sweet old sausage Daddy. Unforgiveable

YesBiscuit! said...

I've seen him make - and admit - mistakes on his show. I assume other trainers make mistakes too. I know I do at my job sometimes. (Luckily I don't have a TV show filming me!) He seems to help much more than he screws up and he doesn't claim to be perfect. I respect that.
I also appreciate that many dog trainers are very vocal online about their dislike for him. So it goes...

jayjenjo said...

I have pulled dogs from Lake Co. The new shelter is nicer than the old one at least.

It is also
--WAY off the beaten path, down a frontage road with almost no signs

--located behind the county jail

--not open to the general public during hours working people and families could reasonably visit

Did I mention located BEHIND the county jail? With no sign telling out how to get to it? Nice way to get people, families, to come redeem or adopt a pet.

No-Kill is not making head way in Lake County. But MSN sure is proving history can and will repeat it's self.

jayjenjo said...

I have pulled dogs from Lake Co. The new shelter is nicer than the old one at least.

It is also
--WAY off the beaten path, down a frontage road with almost no signs

--located behind the county jail

--not open to the general public during hours working people and families could reasonably visit

Did I mention located BEHIND the county jail? With no sign telling out how to get to it? Nice way to get people to come redeem or adopt a pet.

jayjenjo said...

whoops, sorry for the double comment, my password was not being accepted and i thought the other one had been discarded

Susan Fox said...

It's becoming somewhat obvious now who watches the Dog Whisperer.

They're the people paying attention to and controlling their dog on leash, with a quick pop if needed.

Not the folks with their arms half dislocated from being dragged down the street.

Guess who I'll stay on the same side of the street with?

Julie said...

Liked the Dunbar article, minus the negative p-bull associations. Who's callin' my dog a dummy?? Sure she's no math-whiz border collie, but she's damn smart for a blockhead.