- A Pitbull called Butch somehow escaped from his Craigmont, ID home when the owner wasn't there and ran up to a 3 year old boy in August 2009.
- The kid happened to be the son of the town's "dog catcher".
- The owner talked to the Mother of the kid the day the escape occurred and was told the boy had not been bitten.
- At some point later, allegations of biting and "bad acts" were made against the dog (I'm not clear who made the accusations but it doesn't seem as if any proof was offered).
- The city council took custody of the dog and held a closed hearing on the matter which they did not record. They did not provide the owner with information in advance and refused to hear all of the owner's evidence. The council ordered the dog killed in September 2009.
- The owner has been fighting in court to save Butch since then and is now taking her case to the ID Supreme Court.
- Butch is still in the custody of the city council.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Craigmont City Council Jonesing for a Dog Killing
Although this story seems complicated, from what I can tell, these are the basics: